Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kids Adventures with Dad...

Dad has been able to stay home with us since Costco has a paternity leave policy. It has been so nice because he and the kids have adventures almost everyday! There favorite thing to do is go find geocaches. They hike all over the mountains south of our house looking for treasures other people have placed and find them using the GPS. Ben is the best at spotting them. Usually they are put in old bullet cases or small rubber boxes, but this last time someone actually used a really old flashlight and took out all the metal components and made it a geocache. The kids like to put things inside to say they have been there, like little Lightning McQueen cards or pencils. 


Another thing they did was sleep out in the backyard. I had fallen asleep early (when the baby sleeps, moms sleeps, right??) and I woke up to the sounds of the kids giggling. I looked at the clock and it was after 10, so I go up to see why my kids were playing and not sleeping and none of them were in bed, except for Ephraim. Here they are the morning after. Annie, our Aussie, slept right on Dewey but Tic, the hound, would get up and lick everyone and play around and then settle back down. They all had fun counting stars and telling each other stories and trying to get Annie to lay by them. 

Two nights ago there was a Lunar Eclipse really early in the morning. We had told the kids we would wake them up to watch it. So, since I had just fed Ruby, we decided to wake the kids and take them outside to watch the eclipse. It was really early, and there were clouds. We waited until it got dark and then went back in to bed. The kids loved it. We snuggled in sleeping bags on the lawn and talked.



Another night this week we decided to go up the mountain and cook hotdogs and roast marshmallows. We found a nice little place right by a creek and there were some trails. We had so much fun getting dirty and playing in the creek.



Last night we wanted to go swimming. We thought that the resevoir close by would be good, so we made some sandwiches and got in the car. Two hours and 75 miles later we still hadn't found a beach and decided to come home. The kids were so sad. Dewey took some tarps and made a little slip 'n slide in the backyard to make up for it. Our hose water is SO cold, and really shocked Ben the first time he went down. The other kids only went once, but they were happy!!

1 comment:

Carroll Farm said...

Ah, slip-n-slides. I remember those. I don't think that I would/could do it anymore, too old for that - however, I spray the kids with the hose any chance I get.

Josh wants to move up to Utah soon - next couple of years, when we were up for the 4th the high was 82, here - well it was 115 at least! I will let you know if we are going to make the move...