Monday, December 8, 2008

The BEST Time of Year!

I just love this time of year! I love the decorations and presents and singing and music and food and celebrations. I was meant to have my birthday in December! I love being together as a family. I love seeing all the happiness and joy, and people giving to complete strangers and the kindness that falls all over the world. I remember hearing about soldiers in WWII on different sides of the trenches, who on Christmas, stopped the bombing and shooting, and played cards, exchanged mementos, and shared a cup of hot cider. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could find that kind of peace, everyday of the year? I love doing a Christmas in July drive of giving and sharing, and helping people remember the TRUE meaning of Christmas. Just recently, my oldest, Ben and I were talking about the Savior and we were using different words to describe Him. Two that we thought were very important (also from the Ensign's VT Message) are Jesus is the Light and the Life of the world. He the Light, who has shown us the path to follow in order to return to heaven. Elder Dallin H Oaks said, "His example and his teachings illuminate the path we should walk..." He is also the Life. His purpose for coming into the world was to save us all from sin and death. Because He died for each of us, we can be forgiven for our sins. And because He was resurrected, each of us will be resurrected and have eternal life! What more of a gift could we ask for? This holiday season, I urge us all to remember what the purpose of it is, and seek out a way it can be more meaningful to yourself and those around you. Share the true meaning of Christmas!

No comments: